"By the time I get to Redskin Park look like I will see a whole new team," defensive end Phillip Daniels said Wednesday on Twitter. "Deals are fast and furious."
Not all of the deals were complete, and some won't be official until Friday afternoon, according to the rules implemented at the end of the NFL lockout, but the Redskins -- like all their competitors -- were moving quickly to reshape their roster.
Near the top of the list was the need to get rid of the distraction duo of McNabb and Albert Haynesworth, whose various tribulations helped drag down the team during coach Mike Shanahan's first season in Washington.
Jay Glazer of Fox Sports and NFL Network reported that the Redskins will receive sixth-round draft picks in 2012 and 2013. McNabb has yet to officially sign his restructured contract, but his desire to be in Minnesota led to the deal.
Haynesworth remained on the roster -- at least for the time being -- but the Redskinsfound a replacement in Cofield, who agreed to a six-year, $36 million contract with $12.5 million guaranteed. Cofield was a steady contributor up front for the New York Giants for five seasons, although he'll have to play nose tackle in Washington's 3-4 scheme.
"He's explosive, he gets off the ball, he's relentless," Alexander said. "Those are the types of things you need in a D-tackle. And you don't really hear too much about him complaining. A lot of the other guys get all the glory, but he's down there doing all the grunt work and that's what you need in a nose tackle."
If Alexander's assessment is true, Cofield will be everything that Haynesworth was not. Signed to a seven-year, $100-million contract in 2009, Haynesworth has little production to show for two turbulent seasons in Washington and was suspended for the last four games of 2010 by Shanahan for insubordination.
The Redskins faced uncertainty at receiver when the lockout ended, and Shanahan's theory seems to be to address it with a swarm of experience in the hopes that something works out.
Moss was first, agreeing to a new deal to remain in Washington. The 32-year-old wideout will sign a three-year, $15 million contract that includes a $5 million signing bonus, keeping a respected veteran in the locker room.
The 30-year-old Stallworth is set to sign a one-year deal. He caught just two passes with the Baltimore Ravens in 2010 after sitting out much of the year with a broken foot, and he was suspended for the previous season after pleading guilty to driving under the influence manslaughter. His best season came in 2005, when he caught 70 passes for 945 yards for the New Orleans Saints.
"It will be fun," Stallworth told Scout.com. "I know Santana Moss, too. It will be a good chance for me to do some things. ... I'm not asking for a handout. I just want to show what I can do."
"It shocked me. I didn't have any clue it was going to happen," Gaffney said. "There's going to be a lot of crazy things going on."
Gaffney made unwanted news last year when he provided the gun that teammate Kenny McKinley used to commit suicide. Gaffney said he sold the gun to McKinley legally.
Jarmon, selected by the Redskins in the third round of the 2009 supplemental draft, never found his place after Washington switched to a 3-4 defensive scheme last season.
A sign of how frenzied the day was: News of the Gaffney-Jarmon trade came while Alexander was chatting with reporters.
"Oh, really?" Alexander said. "Jarmon's a good dude. I liked Jarmon. He was a hard worker. Best wishes to him, wherever he landed. Where did he go?"
When all the receivers finally get together for a practice, it will be a battle of old against new for playing time. Second-year pro Anthony Armstrong should again vie for a starting spot, and the Redskins also selected three wideouts -- Leonard Hankerson, Niles Paul and Aldrick Robinson -- in the April draft.
"Uh, I have to get to know a lot more about him," Gaffney said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.