Redskins KR Banks moved to new facility, continues recovery

Washington Redskins kick returner Brandon Banks has been moved to a medical facility in Arlington, Va., as he continues to recover from a knife wound suffered during an altercation outside an upscale D.C. nightclub last weekend.

Banks' agent, James Gould, released a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying his client "is doing fine" and is under the care of Redskins team physician Dr. Anthony Casolaro at Virginia Hospital Center.

"The knife nicked his lung, creating a pneunomothorax condition," Gould said. "He still has a chest tube inserted, and it will remain until the wound heals and the lung remains inflated."

In the hours immediately following the incident in which Banks and a friend were attacked, Gould described the player's injury as minor and predicted a hospital stay that would last less than 24 hours. But it soon became clear that Banks' injury was more serious. He had a tube inserted into his chest earlier this week to prevent his left lung from collapsing.

"We are hopeful that the tube will be removed by Friday, and if the lung does not respond, then a commonly performed procedure using a scope will be performed to repair the lung," Gould said in the statement. "Brandon should be released within 48 hours afterward. We expect 100 percent recovery where he can resume his offseason training in two to four weeks."

Gould has remained optimistic in providing updates of his client's condition.

"We were hopeful that the tube would have been removed this past Monday, but the lung would not remain inflated," Gould said. "Brandon is in good spirits, especially after speaking with his friend, Christopher Nixon. Brandon would like to thank the doctors and nurses at Howard University Hospital for their care and appreciates the outpouring of love and support from his fans, teammates and the Redskins family."

The stabbing occurred shortly after 3 a.m. Saturday outside The Park at 14th, an upscale nightclub.

According to D.C. police, a man got into a verbal altercation with two others, then pulled a knife and stabbed Banks and Nixon.

The suspect -- Jason Shorter, 24, of Lanham, Md. -- was arrested at the scene and has been charged with assault with a dangerous weapon. He has been released but remains under supervision, according to police.

Nixon remained hospitalized as of Tuesday with stab wounds to the face and upper body.

The police report stated that, according to footage from a surveillance camera outside the building, Nixon and a man identified as Shorter "engaged in a verbal altercation in front of the nightclub." The argument "turned physical," it said.

Shorter "briefly argued with (Nixon and Banks), then pulled a knife from his pocket, opened it and armed himself by holding the knife behind his back," the police report said. Nixon "then struck (Shorter) with his fist."

The report stated that Banks was stabbed in the upper left abdomen. He revealed the injury to police at the scene before being transferred to the hospital.

"Brandon is a victim in the case, and the investigation is ongoing," Gould said earlier this week. "Brandon is not implicated in any wrongdoing."

At 12:43 a.m. Saturday, before the incident, Banks tweeted, "Park gonna b to much for me tonight."

Banks, an undrafted rookie out of Kansas State last season, returned a punt 53 yards the first time he touched the ball in an NFL game. He also recorded a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown. He is the lightest player in the NFL -- listed at 5-foot-7, 150 pounds.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.