Skip to main content

Players visiting complexes, but no activities again taking place

Players who showed up at team complexes around the league on Thursday were again not allowed to do any activities.

Washington Redskins center Casey Rabach reported to Redskin Park on Thursday morning, spoke briefly with general manager Bruce Allen, but he was not allowed to enter to work out.

"I stopped by to talk with Bruce," Rabach said via text. "Everyone was good there. He told me they are waiting to hear on the stay filed with the 8th district court."

When asked if he went to the facility hoping to work out, Rabach responded:

"I went there knowing it wasn't going to happen. It would have been nice."

The NFLPA is instructing players and agents to begin using team facilities and to operate under normal free-agent rules, including negotiating with teams, with the lockout enjoined. The NFL has instructed teams to continue operating under lockout rules.

"Clubs were notified last night they should continue to follow the current rules and practices until otherwise advised by our office," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement released Thursday.

In Minnesota, Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway showed up at Winter Park but was "cordially" informed that he would not be allowed to workout at the facility, *The Star-Tribune* reported.

"I went down to the weight room before I got changed and I didn't know what was going to happen," Greenway said. "The strength coaches were there, just getting there, and they said that they didn't know what we could do. I was called by (vice president of football operations) Rob Brzezinski. He said, 'You can hang out as long as you want and we want you to be around, but we don't know what rules to go under so there's no workouts available today'."

Meanwhile, a dozen Denver Broncos showed up at the team's Dove Valley headquarters in Englewood, Colo., and had a meeting with team president Joe Ellis.

The group included safety Brian Dawkins, defensive end Robert Ayers, linebacker Joe Mays and tight end Spencer Larsen. The players weren't allowed to work out or do any football-related activities at the facility.

Team spokesman Patrick Smyth said Ellis met with the players in the team cafeteria for about 10 minutes. He explained that "everything is on hold at this time as we figure out how to proceed on our football business."

Several of the players left right after the meeting. Smyth described it as "professional and cordial."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.