Mike McCoy will not enter 2016 as a lame-duck coach.
San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco announced Friday that McCoy's contract has been extended through the 2017 season.
The team announced earlier in the week that it would bring back McCoy for his fourth season, which would have been the final year of his contract.
"Mike is somebody we want to build around," Telesco said Friday, via the team's official Twitter account.
McCoy has a 22-26 record in three seasons in San Diego.
The GM said it was McCoy's decision to relieve six assistants of their coaching positions this week, including offensive coordinator Frank Reich.
San Diego struggled to run the football in 2015, with first-round pick Melvin Gordon having a particularly disappointing campaign.
The Chargers were decimated by injuries on offense, which wiped out much of their offensive line for periods of time and crippled their receiving corps.