Inspired Giants dominate Redskins 36-0

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (Oct. 30, 2005) -- Tiki Barber put the finishing touch on the best running day of his career, then made one of the most important runs for the New York Giants.

Barber scored late in the third quarter of the Giants' 36-0 rout of the Washington Redskins, ran straight to the Giants sideline and presented the ball to Tim McDonnell, grandson of owner Wellington Mara, who died of cancer Oct. 25 at 89.

"I told him, 'This is for you; this is for your grandfather,' " Barber said after the game. "It was a big day and a special day for me, especially considering the events of the past week. It's something I'll never forget."

Two days after attending an emotional farewell to Mara at a packed funeral at New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Giants produced their best defensive effort of the season, forcing four turnovers and sacking Washington quarterbacks Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey five times.

The victory was New York's first shutout in seven years and put the Giants atop the NFC East at 5-2.

Barber ran for 206 yards on 24 carries, and the veteran back's 4-yard touchdown run helped him surpass his previous single-game high of 203 yards set against Philadelphia at the end of the 2002 season.

He broke off a 57-yard run on the game's first play to set up the first of Jay Feely's five field goals, and had a 59-yard run later in the first half that led to a 3-yard touchdown by rookie Brandon Jacobs.

Barber, who visited Mara at his home the day before he died, had vowed to McDonnell that he would score a touchdown. He came close on the 59-yarder, but was hauled down at the 1-yard line by safety Ryan Clark.

Washington (4-3), a 52-17 winner against San Francisco a week earlier, managed only 34 yards in the first half and finished with 125. The Redskins didn't cross midfield until the last minute of the third quarter.

"I think we all realized what was at stake," head coach Joe Gibbs said. "We had talked about it all week -- the big ballgame for us, and for them, there was a lot at stake. There was a lot riding on it and we didn't play well. I think we take a long hard look at ourselves, and it certainly starts with me."

Brunell entered the game with the fourth-highest passer rating in the NFL, but finished 11-for-28 for 65 yards and could not solve a secondary that entered the game having given up the second-most yards in the NFL.

Giants head coach Tom Coughlin credited his defensive line's performance. Before this game, the Giants had managed 11 sacks in six games.

"We had good pressure, and that's where it started," he said.

In a reprise of the Redskins' 20-14 loss at Giants Stadium last year, Brunell was replaced near the end of the third quarter by Ramsey, who drove the Redskins to the Giants 5 on his first possession, but saw his bid to avert the shutout fail when Robert Royal dropped his pass in the end zone.

All three quarterbacks struggled to complete passes in the swirling winds. Eli Manning finished 12-for-31 for 146 yards for the Giants and was intercepted by Clark in the first quarter on a ball thrown into the wind in the east end zone.

The Giants put the game out of reach at the beginning of the second half when Reggie Torbor stripped the ball from Ladell Betts on the kickoff and Willie Ponder recovered on the Washington 23.

Manning threw to Jeremy Shockey over the middle, and the tight end brushed off linebacker LaVar Arrington and dived into the end zone. Feely's extra point made the score 26-0.

The Giants also scored at the end of the first half on a 39-yard field goal by Feely after an interception by linebacker Antonio Pierce, whom the Redskins failed to re-sign last offseason.

Pierce's familiarity with the Washington offense might have helped; Brunell appeared to throw the ball directly to him.

"That's what happens when you know what they are going to do," Pierce said.

Flags flew at half-staff at Giants Stadium in honor of Mara, who was involved with the team since 1925, and there was a moment of silence before Kate Mara, one of his 40 grandchildren, sang The Star-Spangled Banner.

A video tribute at halftime included clips of Mara's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Giants' Super Bowl titles after the 1986 and 1990 seasons.


Feely's five field goals tied a career high set for Atlanta against Detroit in 2002. He also missed his first attempt of the season, hitting the left upright on a 51-yarder in the second quarter after making 13 straight.
Redskins LT Chris Samuels left the game with a bruised knee in the third quarter.
Giants S Shaun Williams left the game with a hamstring injury near the end of the first quarter.

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.