New England is holding wide receiver Julian Edelman out of Thursday night's game against the Bears as he continues to heal from his injured left foot, NFL Media's Courtney Fallon reported, per a source informed of the situation.
Edelman tweaked his foot in practice last Tuesday after having undergone surgery on it in the offseason. The veteran wideout returned to practice the very next day, but did not play in New England's preseason opener.
There's no concern that Edelman will miss the season opener against the Cardinals, but the Patriots surely wouldn't mind having their top receiver catch some in-game passes from Jimmy Garoppolo before the games start counting.
Here are the other injuries we are monitoring on Thursday:
- Texans center Nick Martin left practice early with an apparent foot or ankle injury. Coach Bill O'Brien added that his situation isn't serious.
- Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe left practice Wednesday, but he won't miss Saturday's preseason game. Despite Wolfe's mild ankle sprain, coach Gary Kubiak expects Wolfe to play against the 49ers.
- Browns wideout Corey Coleman won't play in front of his home crowd Thursday night. The rookie receiver will sit out Cleveland's game against the Falcons with a hamstring injury, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports. The Browns are also expected to sit wide receiver Josh Gordon (quad), tackle Joe Thomas (back) and cornerback Joe Haden (ankle), ESPN's Tony Grossi reports.
- Sammy Watkins came off the PUP list last week, and he may get his first preseason action on Saturday. It would be, however, only a series, per Bills coach Rex Ryan. The decision to play the star wideout or not is not definite yet.
- The Falcons announced that second-year outside linebacker Vic Beasley (shoulder) will not play Thursday against the Browns.
- Mario Edwards suffered a hip injury in last week's preseason game against the Cardinals, and now the Raiders defensive end won't play Thursday against the Packers, the team announced.
- Eagles kicker Caleb Sturgis suffered a concussion during warmups, and the team announced he will be out against the Steelers. Per NFL's Aditi Kinkhabwala, the cause was an errant punt that hit him in the head.