Ex-Steelers OC Arians: Retirement 'was an easy decision for me'

Bruce Arians had kept quiet after his departure from the Pittsburgh Steelers -- but not any more.

Arians opened up to the York Daily Record about how his time on the Steelers' staff ended with his announced retirement last week.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora cited a league source in reporting last week that Arians was told his contract wouldn't be renewed this offseason. Though Arians, 59, told the Daily Record that retirement had been on his mind, he said the Steelers' decision pushed him in that direction.

"When I wasn't offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me," Arians said.

Arians said he was told he wasn't wanted back for a sixth season, but Steelers president Art Rooney II didn't give him a reason why.

"I can't answer that question," Arians said. "Only the people there can. That's the business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don't have any regrets."

Arians also didn't rule out a return to coaching. League sources told La Canfora on Monday that Arians has been in contact with teams about possible positions, one of which being the Arizona Cardinals' quarterbacks coach job.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.
Gamepass_vert_web_r

See all the Action

Replay every game all season.