Johnny Manziel will remain in rehab beyond the standard 28-day minimum, coach Mike Pettine said Monday.
"There was no set end date," Pettine said, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot. "It's more important -- the personal stuff now -- football is an afterthought so we're just giving him his privacy and (letting him) do what he has to do."
Manziel entered rehab on Jan. 28. Many celebrities bail on rehab once they've hit the required minimum days.
The coach said he's been in touch with Johnny Football "a handful of times" and visited him last month. Pettine was encouraged by the second-year player's progress.
Pettine added that the additions to the coaching staff will help his young quarterback make a leap in 2015.
"Well, I just think in hiring (quarterbacks coach) Kevin O'Connell, hiring (offensive coordinator) John DeFilippo, and knowing what those guys bring to the table from a quarterback standpoint that when Johnny is back, I'm very confident that he'll be better," he said.
With Josh McCown brought in as the bridge quarterback, this year is key for Manziel to prove he can become a starting signal-caller in the NFL. That starts with offseason work, which begins with getting healthy. The 22-year-old will take as much time on that latter part as necessary.