Skip to main content

Bengals' Jones faces misdemeanor charges after Ohio arrest

Bengals cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones spent eight hours in a Cincinnati jail Sunday morning after being arrested on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct while intoxicated and resisting arrest, but he steadfastly denied any wrongdoing.

"I hadn't been drinking," Jones told WCPO-TV after he exited jail. "I was with my wife. It was her birthday.

"It don't make no sense," added Jones, who'll be arraigned Monday. "There is no reason why I should have got locked up. No reason."

Police said Jones, 27, needed to be escorted out of a downtown Cincinnati bar after repeatedly being asked to calm down. Jones went outside but allegedly yelled profanities and gestured wildly, leading police to arrest him. Jones allegedly tried to escape his handcuffs, so two officers had to restrain him before taking him to Hamilton County Jail around 3 a.m.

Jones, who's wearing a neck brace while he recovers from an injury that ended his 2010 season, questioned how he could resist arrest in his physical condition.

"I just had surgery," Jones told WCPO-TV. "So why would I be resisting arrest? It doesn't make sense for me to resist arrest."

It's Jones' second run-in with police in Cincinnati. Last fall, they questioned him after he drove his vehicle over a downtown curb to avoid an obstacle, but they later apologized to him, saying it was a mistake and he'd done nothing wrong.

Jones, whose NFL career has been marred by his off-the-field troubles, acknowledged Sunday "the only thing I can do is apologize," but he vowed, "I'm going to take this to another step."

"It's ridiculous," Jones said. "... I did not yell profanities at the police, and at the end of the day ... I'm the bad guy."

A Bengals spokesman told The Associated Press the team had no comment. The team is prohibited from having contact with Jones because of the NFL lockout.

It's just the latest off-the-field issue for Jones. He was arrested six times and involved in 12 instances requiring police intervention while with the Tennessee Titans from 2005 to 2007. He was suspended for the 2007 season under the NFL's personal-conduct policy.

David Roger, the district attorney in Las Vegas, where Jones was arrested in 2007, says he'll review police reports of Jones' weekend arrest before deciding whether to ask a judge to jail Jones for violating a probation stay-out-of-trouble order.

Roger tells The Associated Press it could be weeks before he decides whether to seek jailing Jones for up to a year.

Jones's lawyer in Las Vegas, Robert Langford, says he thinks charges against his client will be dropped.

The Dallas Cowboys traded for Jones in 2008, but he got into trouble again, drawing a six-game suspension for an alcohol-related scuffle with a team-provided bodyguard. The Cowboys released Jones after the 2008 season, and he sat out the next year before signing a two-year deal with the Bengals in May 2010.

Jones appeared in five games for Cincinnati last season, totaling 14 tackles and one interception. He also returned a fumble for a touchdown before a neck injury ended his campaign.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.