National Football League
10. Super Bowl IV
In the final game before the AFL-NFL merger, the Chiefs pulled off the upstart league's second straight upset win over the established NFL, downing the Vikings, 23-7.
Eric Risberg/Associated Press
9. Vikings upset 49ers in 1987 playoffs
Not many believed that the Vikings could beat a 49ers team that finished 13-2, and featured Joe Montana at his peak and a rising WR in Jerry Rice.
Ron Heflin/Associated Press
8. Super Bowl XXV
Behind backup QB Jeff Hostetler, the Giants put together a game plan for success against the high-flying Bills in this edge-of-your-seat thriller, winning 20-19.
Ira Schwarz/Associated Press
7. Redskins' scabs beat 'America's Team'
When replacement players were used during a strike in the 1987 season, the Redskins' final replacement game -- a 13-7 upset of the Cowboys -- helped inspire a movie.
David Zalubowski/Associated Press
6. Jaguars upset Broncos in 1996 playoffs
One year removed from their inaugural season, the expansion Jaguars went into Mile High Stadium in the second round of the NFL playoffs and shocked the football world, eliminating the top-seeded Broncos, 30-27.
Ed Andrieski/Associated Press
5. Super Bowl XXXII
A year after the shocking upset against the Jaguars, the Broncos pulled off one of their own against the defending Super Bowl champion Packers, winning 31-24.
Pro Football Hall Of Fame
4. Browns upset Eagles in 1950 opener
Fresh from a move from the fledgling All-American Football Conference, the rogue Browns dominated the two-time defending NFL champion Eagles, 35-10.
Doug Mills/Associated Press
3. Super Bowl XXXVI
Before he married a supermodel and was a national icon, Tom Brady was a relative unknown leading the Patriots to an improbable Super Bowl win over the favored Rams, 20-17.
Gene J. Puskar/Associated Press
2. Super Bowl XLII
The Patriots steamrolled to an 18-0 record en route to Super Bowl XLII, where the Giants prevented New England's pro football immortality with a 17-14 upset.
National Football League
1. Super Bowl III
Joe Namath made a famous guarantee before Super Bowl III, but not many believed the AFL's Jets could even match up with the NFL's Colts. They believed after the Jets won, 16-7.
More Photo Essays:
- 16 for '16: College football's most freakish athletes
- Mind-blowing stats for the Top 100 Players of 2016: 70-61
- 16 for '16: Offensive players who will be NFL stars
- All-X-Men Team
- 16 for '16: Defenders who will be NFL stars
- Top 30 undrafted players in NFL history
- 16 for '16: Impact transfers
- Mind-blowing stats for the Top 100 Players of 2016: 71-80
- Eleven NBA-NFL player comparisons