A leader for all seasons
The Braves went from 65-97 in 1990 to 94-68 in 1991, Bobby Cox's first full year as manager. The Falcons went from 4-12 in 2007 to 11-5 in 2008, Mike Smith's first year as head coach.
The Braves made the playoffs 16 times since 1991. They've only won the World Series once. The Falcons have made the playoffs in three of the last four seasons. They have yet to win a game.
Braves general manger John Schuerholz and manager Bobby Cox share a relationship similar to Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith.
US Presswire/Associated Press
Meet me in Missouri
Both teams acquired players from Missouri to improve the team on and off the field. In 1991, the Braves signed third baseman Terry Pendleton from the St. Louis Cardinals. He won National League MVP that year. In 2009, the Falcons traded for Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. He's caught 25 touchdowns and made two Pro Bowls since then.
Counting Crows isn't the only group with an appreciation for Mr. Jones. Chipper Jones played 19 years as a third baseman for the Braves, was an eight time all-star and is nearly guaranteed a spot in the Hall of Fame. Wide receiver Julio Jones has 14 total touchdowns since he was drafted by the Falcons in 2011.
More Photo Essays:
- Mind-blowing stats for Week 14 of the 2013 season
- Hall of Fame cases for. . .
- Week 14 Fantasy waiver wire
- Mind-blowing stats for Week 13 of the 2013 season
- Mind-blowing stats for Thanksgiving
- Week 13 Fantasy waiver wire
- Mind-blowing stats for Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady
- Mind-blowing stats for Week 12 of the 2013 season
- Manning vs. Brady Round 14