Around the NFL  

 

Browns admit they might not keep Caleb Brantley

Print
  • By Around The NFL staff NFL.com
More Columns >

The Cleveland Browns chose Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley with the 185th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft on Saturday.

Considered one of the nation's top interior defensive line prospects, Brantley fell through the draft after he was charged on suspicion of misdemeanor battery following an alleged physical altercation with a woman earlier this month. Brantley allegedly struck the woman with a closed fist and knocked her unconscious in Gainesville, Florida, on April 13, according to the Gainesville Police Dept.

The Browns deeply researched the matter and personally visited with Brantley before making the pick, per NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

However, Browns executive vice president Sashi Brown told reporters Saturday the team could decide not to keep Brantley. According to NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala, Brown said the misdemeanor charge Brantley is facing is "concerning."

"This may not be something we can get comfortable with," Brown said.

Brantley entered the week ranked as the fourth-best interior defensive lineman by NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock, but Rapoport noted Saturday that plenty of teams believed the defensive lineman might go undrafted.

The 6-foot-3, 307-pound lineman arrives with plenty of questions on and off the field, but he won't be given much slack under Gregg Williams, the new Browns defensive coordinator, if he remains on the Browns' roster.

Print