The San Francisco 49ers are retooling their roster by jettisoning one big free-agent acquisition after two seasons.
Steve Smith Sr (@89SteveSmith) March 6, 2017
Torrey Smith signed a five-year, $40 million contract, with $22 million in guarantees in 2015. The 49ers will save $4.8 million on the cap releasing Smith. With a boatload of cap space, however, the move smacks of fit rather than money.
Smith struggled in two seasons in San Francisco, compiling 930 yards and seven touchdowns on 53 receptions in 28 games. In 2016, the 28-year-old missed four games and ended the season on injured reserve with a concussion. He caught just 20 passes for 267 yards and three scores.
"The 49ers would like to thank Torrey for representing this organization with tremendous class over the last two years," 49ers general manager John Lynch said in a statement. "I have always had great respect for his skill as a player and as a wonderful example of how professional athletes can use their platform to make a difference in our community. We wish Torrey, and his family, all the best."
Ironically, Smith recently spoke about overcoming those struggles under new coach Kyle Shanahan.
"It's the way they scheme it up and put it together," he said last month, via CSN Bay Area. "The way I watch it from afar, he (Shanahan) tailors it to people's strengths, which is always a plus. So I'm excited to see what his plan is for us."
Alas, Smith is not in the 49ers' plans.
Still only 28, the veteran should find interest on the open market with plenty of teams needing a vertical threat. This time around his deal should be much lower than his last foray in free agency.
Don't be surprised when I'm back on track next year.......â Torrey Smith (@TorreySmithWR) March 6, 2017