Around the NFL  

 

Seahawks don't expect 2016 Kam Chancellor holdout

Print

The Seahawks won their contract staredown with Kam Chancellor last summer after the hard-hitting safety missed two months of practice and the first two games of the regular season.

2016 NFL DRAFT

Draft coverage:

When the Seattle front office refused to adjust Chancellor's contract in September, the four-time Pro Bowler responded by noting that "those things I'd rather deal with at the end of the season."

Nearly four months since the end of the 2015 season, all remains quiet on the Chancellor contract front.

In a Tuesday interview with KIRO in Seattle, general manager John Schneider said he does not expect Chancellor to hold out this time around.

After resisting trade feelers for Chancellor prior to the start of last season, Schneider recently said the defensive leader will "absolutely" be with Seattle in 2016.

Chancellor is due $5.1 million this season and $6.8 million in 2017, the final season of a five-year, $29 million contract signed in April of 2013.

When asked what he learned about last year's holdout, Chancellor told the Seattle Times last week that "the past is the past."

"I'm excited to get another chance," Chancellor explained. "... Right now we have another chance, to win a Super Bowl, to win a division, to win the conference. Just being able to get that chance again is enough to be excited about."

Schneider is fully onboard with Chancellor's sentiment that last year's contract standoff is in the past.

"Kam is an extremely prideful, spiritual person. There's a lot of family things that stay in house. That's one of them," Schneider said, via ESPN.com's Sheil Kapadia, at last month's NFL owners meeting. "I can't speak more highly of a guy. It was a tough, tough thing for everybody to go through last year, so I'm glad he feels that way."

Print

Fan Discussion