Around the NFL  

 

Dean Spanos: Chargers trying hard to stay in San Diego

Print

The Chargers will play in San Diego in 2016 and chairman Dean Spanos sounds more dedicated than ever to finding a long-term solution.

NFL Scouting Combine

Dates: Feb. 23-29
TV: NFL Network and NFL Combine Live


Combine coverage:

Photos:

"Whatever we need to do," Spanos told the San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee. "We're going to do what we need to do to get this done ... We're trying as hard as we can. I can't do it myself. It's going to take the effort of the mayor; politically we need support. The business community needs to step up. I think once we have a definitive plan in place they'll get behind us and support us. It has to economically make sense for the voters, and I think (the business community) will help make that case down the line and they'll support us."

Spanos remains cautious in his optimism, given the remaining gap in realizing a public-private stadium partnership. But for a team that previously seemed destined to relocate, any optimism is a positive step.

That optimism comes in part from the NFL's willingness to add $100 million to any project keeping the Chargers in San Diego for the long-term. Spanos still has a potential partnership with the Rams in Inglewood in his back pocket -- even if he'd rather not play that card.

"Obviously, having options was important, and $100 million from the league is significant. It's a great starting point. So there are a couple things. You step back and say, 'It's easily worth it to try to get something done here, so let's give it a try.' When you have an extended option like we have (in Inglewood), why wouldn't you take the opportunity to try to get something done here? I mean, it's more personal to me. I've always said I want to be here. So the option is the option, and I'm going to do the best I can to stay."

Print

Fan Discussion