Around the NFL  


Manziel allegedly hit ex-girlfriend; won't be charged


Johnny Manziel's ex-girlfriend claimed the Cleveland Browns quarterback struck her "several times" during an argument on Saturday night, according to an incident report released Thursday by the Fort Worth (Texas) Police Department.

Shortly after the report was released, the Fort Worth and Dallas police departments, which were investigating the alleged incident, confirmed to NFL Media that Manziel will not face charges.

According to the report, Manziel's former girlfriend, Colleen Crowley, said Manziel struck her "several times" after they got into an argument at Hotel Zaza in Dallas. Crowley also stated Manziel struck her several more times while he drove her back to her apartment in Fort Worth. After arriving home, she eventually ran to a neighbor's house, and Manziel fled the scene on foot, the report stated.

Crowley told police Manziel was acting as if he were on drugs. The report states Crowley "became increasingly uncooperative" as they continued their investigation that night and "did not want officers to photograph her or any of her injuries." She declined to file a report, and officers were unable to locate Manziel.

Several sections of the police report were redacted.

Fort Worth Police Sgt. Steve Enright told NFL Media on Thursday that "no offense occurred in Fort Worth's jurisdiction." The Dallas Police Dept. released a statement announcing they have closed their investigation:

The Dallas Police Department has conducted the appropriate investigative follow-up to the report forwarded to us by the Ft. Worth Police Department regarding an alleged incident involving Johnny Manziel. Investigative efforts to date have not resulted in the filing of a criminal complaint and the incident is determined to be closed. No further statement is expected at this time.

Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt, released a statement Friday stating that he has parted ways with the QB.

"It is with deep regret that, after several emotional and very personal discussions with his family, his doctors, and my client himself, I have made the decision to terminate my professional relationship with Johnny Manziel."

Manziel's father, Paul, expressed his concern for his son to the Dallas Morning News.

"I truly believe if they can't get him help, he won't live to see his 24th birthday."

Earlier this week, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Browns will release Manziel on March 9. The team released a statement Tuesday in the wake of the incident.

"We've been clear about expectations for our players on and off the field," Browns executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown said in a statement Monday. "Johnny's continual involvement in incidents that run counter to those expectations undermines the hard work of his teammates and the reputation of our organization. His status with our team will be addressed when permitted by league rules. We will have no further comment at this time."

"We are aware and looking into it," an NFL spokesman said Saturday. NFL security plans to contact Manziel's ex-girlfriend and her family as part of their investigation into the incident, Rapoport reported.

This marks the latest of several incidents involving Manziel as a member of the Browns. The team announced last month that it had fined the second-year quarterback for missing a scheduled medical treatment on the final Sunday of the season.

Manziel was also benched ahead of a Week 12 matchup with the Ravens after a video surfaced of the quarterback partying at a club in Austin, Texas. A week prior to that, Manziel was cleared of wrongdoing in a roadside incident involving his girlfriend. During the 2015 offseason, he spent 10 weeks in a rehab facility specializing in alcohol and substance abuse.