Around the NFL  

 

Agent: No timetable for Megatron retirement decision

Calvin Johnson's future remains up in the air.

Megatron's agent, Bus Cook, told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press on Tuesday there is no timetable for Johnson's decision on potential retirement.

2016 NFL DRAFT

Draft coverage:

Amid rumors the Pro Bowl receiver could walk away, Johnson released a statement earlier this month saying he was "evaluating" his options and "would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future."

That not-too-distant future remains an amorphous timeframe.

Matthew Stafford said two weeks ago he believes Megatron is sincerely wrestling with potentially walking away even though he has been playing at a high level.

The NFL's single-season receiving yards record holder has dealt with nagging injuries the past several seasons, which could be the impetus for retirement at age 30.

Johnson's salary-cap number is scheduled to hit $24 million this season, but it's unlikely the Lions would push for a decision from the wideout soon. If Megatron were to walk, Detroit would be left with Golden Tate and little else in its receiving corps.

Although there is no timetable for a decision, given Johnson's no-nonsense approach to his career, we don't expect the will-he-won't-he questions to linger into the summer.

Fan Discussion