Around the NFL  

 

Chargers examining framework of L.A. stadium deal

Print

Chargers owner Dean Spanos has one year to exercise his option to join the Rams in the Inglewood stadium that is due to open in 2019. It doesn't sound like he will take even a month to decide.

The Chargers have seen the framework of a stadium deal with the Rams, Chargers general counsel Mark Fabiani told NFL Network's Alex Flanagan on Wednesday. The Chargers have just started the process of examining the deal framework, and relocation to Los Angeles remains the top possibility, Fabiani said.

Representatives from the Rams and Chargers have not yet met to discuss the potential deal, Flanagan reported. No deal has been struck, and the Chargers say many details still need to discussed with the Rams.

The Chargers could join the Rams in Inglewood as a partner on the project or as a tenant.

Spanos said Tuesday after the NFL announced the Rams plans to move to L.A. that he would consider his options of remaining in San Diego or moving to Los Angeles.

"I will be working over the next several weeks to explore these options that we have now created for ourselves to determine the best path forward for the Chargers," he said.

Spanos said Tuesday he would "take a day off" to look over those options, but a decision appears to be coming to a head sooner rather than later.

The Chargers had been in a partnership with the Oakland Raiders for a proposed stadium site in Carson, Calif., but that agreement disintegrated with NFL owners approving Stan Kroenke and the Rams' proposal in Inglewood.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a Tuesday night news conference that the league would provide $100 million to both the Chargers and Raiders if they remain in their current home markets.

If the Chargers do not exercise their option to move to Los Angeles, the Raiders will have a one-year option to join the Rams in Inglewood.

Print

Fan Discussion