Around the NFL  

 

Mike McCoy's contract extended by San Diego Chargers

Print

Mike McCoy will not enter 2016 as a lame-duck coach.

San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco announced Friday that McCoy's contract has been extended through the 2017 season.

The team announced earlier in the week that it would bring back McCoy for his fourth season, which would have been the final year of his contract.

"Mike is somebody we want to build around," Telesco said Friday, via the team's official Twitter account.

Every game, all season

McCoy has a 22-26 record in three seasons in San Diego.

The GM said it was McCoy's decision to relieve six assistants of their coaching positions this week, including offensive coordinator Frank Reich.

Telesco said the Chargers want to go in "a little bit different direction on offense. We want to be a little bit more balanced," via the San Diego Union-Tribune.

San Diego struggled to run the football in 2015, with first-round pick Melvin Gordon having a particularly disappointing campaign.

The Chargers were decimated by injuries on offense, which wiped out much of their offensive line for periods of time and crippled their receiving corps.

It's uncertain whether McCoy, who was the offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos prior to signing with the Chargers, would take over calling plays in 2016. Telesco said it's something he "wouldn't be opposed to" if McCoy chooses to take over the duties.

The GM added that the team has spoken to a "good amount of people" this week to fill their coaching vacancies, but hasn't interviewed former Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt, who some speculated could return to San Diego where he was previously the offensive coordinator.

Print