SAN DIEGO -- San Diego city and county officials have made their final pitch to the NFL in what has been a contentious effort to keep the Chargers from moving to the Los Angeles area.
While Mayor Kevin Faulconer and County Commissioner Ron Roberts hope the issue of relocation goes into overtime and gets put off a year, Wednesday's letter to the NFL's Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities might be a desperation pass that's going to fall short.
Faulconer and Roberts signed the letter, which reiterates that the public contribution for a $1.1 billion stadium to replace aging Qualcomm Stadium will be $350 million and the Chargers' share would be $353 million. The NFL would be expected to contribute $200 million, with $187 million coming from personal seat licenses.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said earlier this month that the league wants certainty in proposals from San Diego, Oakland and St. Louis, which means no time for letting cities have voters decide the fate of stadium projects.
The NFL confirmed Wednesday that it had received submissions from all three cities.
"We appreciate the leadership that public officials have demonstrated on behalf of the three cities. There is a great deal of information for the three teams and all of NFL ownership to review and consider," the league said in a statement. "At this point, no applications for relocation of a franchise have been filed."
NFL owners are scheduled to meet in mid-January to address relocation. They could decide whether the Chargers, Raiders or St. Louis Rams, or a combination, is allowed to move to Los Angeles. The nation's second-largest market hasn't had an NFL team since the Raiders and Rams left after the 1994 season.
St. Louis proposed an open-air, $1.1 billion stadium along the Mississippi north of the iconic Gateway Arch. The plan calls for $150 million from the city, $250 million from the team owner, at least $200 million from the league, and $160 million in fan seat licenses. The rest of the money comes from the state, either through tax credits or bonds.
Oakland officials said they were sending a letter to league officials updating them on Oakland's efforts to persuade the Raiders to stay put.
Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press