Around the NFL  

 

James Ihedigbo plans to skip Lions' offseason activities

Print

Not all is calm in the Motor City.

Positional breakdowns

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Detroit Lions safety James Ihedigbo plans to hold out of offseason activities in an attempt to wrangle a new contract, per a source informed of his thinking.

While Ihedigbo has yet to make a decision on mandatory minicamp, Rapoport was told the Lions should not expect to see the safety's face before June barring a new deal. The 31-year-old defender is set to make $1.1 million in the final season of the two-year deal he inked with Detroit last offseason.

"He's looking for a new contract," agent Marc Lillibridge told the Detroit Free Press. "The NFL's notorious for if a player doesn't play up to his contract they'll cut him, yet they want a guy who outplays his contract, very rarely gets rewarded.

"We're just looking for compensation due for the play level James performed at last year, and I'm confident that he played at a Pro Bowl-type level. He was an alternate for the Pro Bowl and we'd like his salary to be equal to or better than some of the other safeties out there that aren't as good as James."

To Ihedigbo's credit, he and Glover Quin made their case in 2014 as one of the NFL's top safety duos for coordinator Teryl Austin's second-ranked defense.

A prototypical box safety, Ihedigbo finished the season as the 14th best player at his position, per Pro Football Focus. Only three safeties ranked higher against the run and Ihedigbo played the best pass coverage of his career last season after stints with the Ravens, Patriots and Jets.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast welcomes back Colleen Wolfe to the show and breaks down team needs heading into the draft. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Print

Fan Discussion