Around the NFL  

 

Peterson highly unlikely to face further suspension

Print

With Adrian Peterson's reinstatement meeting with Commissioner Roger Goodell in the rear-view mirror, what's next for the All-Pro Vikings running back?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport told NFL Total Access on Tuesday that Peterson is "highly unlikely" to face further suspension when he finally comes off the Commissioner's Exempt List, according to a source.

That checks the box on Peterson's top priority heading into Tuesday's meeting with the NFL. Rapoport was told the runner wanted to "weigh in on why he believes he should not be suspended, why he should not face additional penalty when he comes off this list."

Peterson's next priority? Clearing the way for his full return to the field come September. The 30-year-old running back has floated in limbo since agreeing to a plea deal in November of no contest to one count of misdemeanor reckless assault.

"Peterson wants to have a completely clean slate by the draft," Rapoport said. "His point: The Minnesota Vikings have held strong in saying they do not plan on trading Adrian Peterson. They believe he will play for them in 2015. In fact, they want him to play for either them or no one else.

"However, if they are to be tempted with a trade," Rapoport said, "it is going to come at the time of the draft and Peterson wants to make sure there are no obstacles to him getting on the field in 2015, just in case another team decides to come calling -- maybe like the Cardinals, maybe like the Cowboys."

With Peterson's agent, Ben Dogra, declaring last month that it is not in Peterson's best interest to play for the Vikings, the final act of this drama, clearly, has yet to be written.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast welcomes back Colleen Wolfe to the show and breaks down team needs heading into the draft. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

Print

Fan Discussion