However, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that, per a Panthers source, the team does not expect the fourth-year QB to suit up against the Bills -- an unsurprising development. (UPDATE: Newton was ruled out.)
Here's the rest of your injury news:
1. The Falcons announced that rookie linebacker Marquis Spruill will miss the entire season after tearing his ACL during Wednesday's practice. Losing their fifth-round pick only magnifies Atlanta's depth issues at linebacker after Sean Weatherspoon suffered a season-ending torn Achilles tendon in June.
Falcons (@Atlanta_ Falcons) August 8, 2014
3. No big surprise out of Houston, but coach Bill O'Brien confirmed that Arian Foster (undisclosed) and Andre Johnson (hamstring) won't play Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals. We're not concerned about either player's long-term status.
4. Staying with the Texans, pass rusher Jadeveon Clowney was back at practice on Thursday for the first time all week and told reporters that he planned to play against Arizona, per the Houston Chronicle. Clowney is listed as the team's starting weakside outside linebacker on Houston's unofficial depth chart, but O'Brien swatted down assumptions that the No. 1 overall pick was guaranteed to roll with the ones vs. the Cards:
"He'll start? Really? That's news to me. We'll see when the game starts." O'Brien on Clowney starting.â Houston Texans (@Houston Texans) August 7, 2014
6. Making his way back from a torn ACL and LCL, Cardinals second-year safety Tyrann Mathieu hopes to be back on the practice field in "the next two to three weeks." Coach Bruce Arians has said all along, though, that he doesn't expect Honey Badger to suit up for live action before Arizona's Week 5 meeting with the Denver Broncos.
8. Giants rookie receiver Odell Beckham continues to rehab from an injured hamstring. "I'm getting there. It's a process," Beckham said Thursday, per the New York Daily News. "Should be soon. I'm definitely getting close."
10. Indianapolis Colts center Khaled Holmes left Thursday's preseason game against the New York Jets with an ankle injury. Early news back isn't positive -- The Indianapolis Star's Stephen Holder reports that Holmes' injury "appears to be a sprain, but one that will likely cost (him) time in the lineup," potentially missing a handful of weeks.