The New Orleans Saints held their quarterback out of Saturday's scrimmage because of a strained left oblique sustained in Friday's practice, coach Sean Payton said, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport and NFL Media's Steve Wyche.
Brees will be evaluated over the next few days and is considered day-to-day. The Saints have Sunday off, which will give the quarterback at least another full day to rest.
Brees' strain is minor, but core body injuries do affect throwing motion and can be nagging. As with all aging players, it wouldn't be a surprise for the veteran signal-caller to sit out more than he'd like as the year progresses.
Here are some other injuries we are monitoring Saturday:
2. San Francisco 49ers nose tackle Glenn Dorsey suffered a torn biceps that likely will knock him out for the season, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, who cited a source informed of his injury. At the least, Dorsey will lose a significant amount of time.
3. No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney exited practice a bit early, dealing with what reportedly looked like a right leg injury. The Houston Texans linebacker had offseason sports hernia surgery. Coach Bill O'Brien downplayed Clowney leaving practice, saying the team is keeping its rookie on a "pitch count."
4. We learned that Texans third-round pick Louis Nix -- who has been on the PUP list -- underwent arthroscopic knee surgery prior to camp. O'Brien said Nix would be back "at some point." With Nix out, Jerrell Powe moves to the top of the depth chart.
7. Browns safety Tashaun Gipson suffered a sprained left knee during practice Friday, an MRI revealed, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. Jordan Poyer or the newly signed Jim Leonhard are on tap to step in.
8. Carolina Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson tweaked his hamstring on Saturday. With Johnson out, the Panthers' mean defense was without both of its starters -- Greg Hardy sat out with a shoulder injury.
Check back soon for more injury news from around the NFL.