Around the League  

 

T.J. Ward charged with assault, disturbing the peace

Broncos safety T.J. Ward has been charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace after an incident at a Denver nightclub earlier this month, according to authorities.

Both charges are misdemeanors.

Ward appeared in court Friday. A warrant had been issued for his arrest Thursday, but the warrant was vacated Friday and Ward was allowed to proceed on a summons, assistant Denver city attorney Melissa Drazen-Smith said.

His next court date is scheduled for June 23.

NFL Media obtained a statement from Denver police spokesman Sonny Jackson detailing Ward's involvement in a fight that ultimately led to the warrant being issued.

"The incident involving T.J. Ward occurred on the evening of May 9 at a nightclub in southeast Denver called Centerfold," Jackson said. "We determined that there was a dispute, and he was involved in a minor altercation."

The Broncos released a statement on the matter: "We have been aware of this issue and will continue to review all of the facts."

Ward's agent, Josh Arnold, also released a statement, obtained by NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, saying the situation was "misconstrued" by the media.

"He was never arrested, there will be no booking and the warrant that was erroneously issued has been canceled. At this point he has been issued a simple ticket/citation," the statement said. "T.J. would like to thank all of his supporters, and he's looking forward to continuing a productive offseason as he prepares for his first year as a Denver Bronco."

One of the NFL's premier "box" safeties, Ward signed a four-year, $23 million contract with the Broncos in March. The 27-year-old Ward spent his first four pro seasons with the Cleveland Browns, where he earned a Pro Bowl nod in 2013.

NFL News
CONTENT
15