The Pro Bowl wide receiver is on the record saying that he doesn't plan to take part in voluntary organized team activities when they begin next week. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday's edition of "NFL Total Access" that Johnson is also unlikely to attend the mandatory minicamp.
Johnson wondered aloud to reporters last week if Houston was still the place for him after a 2-14 meltdown in 2013. A Texans source told Rapoport that Johnson, 32, expressed his concerns privately with the team before he made his thoughts public at a charity function.
Johnson's frustrations are not about the Texans' decision to not draft or sign a marquee quarterback. It is Rapoport's understanding that the frustrations are the product of a deeper concern about whether Johnson wants to be part of another rebuilding process in Houston.
That said, he might not have much of a choice. Johnson is under contract through the 2016 season, and trading the wide receiver would bury Houston with $11.96 million in dead money against the '14 cap.
The smart money still has Johnson going nowhere this summer.
UPDATE: Rapoport reported Thursday that O'Brien and general manager Rick Smith have talked to Johnson in hopes of easing the receiver's concerns and getting him to show up to minicamp.