The running back, who averaged 2.9 yards per carry last season, disagrees with the sentiment that the Colts lack a top selection.
"I think we do have a first-round pick -- and that's me," Richardson said Wednesday, per ESPN.com. "They spent their money on me in the first round. No pressure toward proving to everybody else, just proving to me that I can be the best."
Richardson's confidence has been unwavering since the season ended, believing he can bounce back with a full offseason in the Colts' offense.
"As far as confidence, man, I can't wait. There's a lot that I want to do," Richardson said, via ProFootballlTalk. "I've been playing football my whole life. I never thought it would become a struggle for me. I look back at it and I say, 'Hey, you're still the guy, you're still the Trent Richardson you've always been. Just keep your mindset right.'"
The 22-year-old Richardson believes his play in 2014 can compensate for the first-round draft pick general manager Ryan Grigson gave up last year. However, the Colts will be missing an infusion of defensive talent that could have come via that first-rounder now held by the Cleveland Browns.