Reed suffered a concussion in Week 11 and hasn't fully recovered almost a month later.
It's a disappointing way for Reed's once-promising 2013 season to unfold. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Redskins shelved the rookie for the remainder of the season.
The dynamic tight end has a bright future -- assuming he can overcome the concussion. Reed has the type of athleticism and pass-catching skills today's offensive coordinators drool over when evaluating tight ends. The third-round draft pick's on-field play was compared to Aaron Hernandez by ESPN's Ron Jaworski earlier this season.
The Redskins' season is over as is Reed's, most likely. Hopefully he can return in 2014 with the same explosive play potential he displayed earlier this season.
Here is some other injury news from Saturday:
1. Reggie Bush practiced again Saturday, but is listed as questionable for Monday night. The Detroit Lions running back expects to play with his calf injury. He also was supposed to play last week before suffering a setback.
3. Carolina Panthers pass rusher Charles Johnson has been downgraded to questionable for Sunday's matchup with the New York Jets. The Charlotte Observer reported that Johnson is suffering from flu-like symptoms. He is expected to play if his health doesn't worsen.
4. The Oakland Raiders placed safety Tyvon Branch on season-ending injured reserve. Branch played just two games this season and never recovered from a Week 2 ankle injury. The Raiders had kept him on the roster in hopes he would be able to return this season. It didn't happen for Branch or the Raiders.
5. The Houston Texans expect to be without tight end Garrett Graham versus the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Saturday, per a source informed of the injury. The emerging tight end is suffering from a hamstring injury.
7. Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Cecil Shorts will be out for Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills due to a groin injury, according to ESPN. In addition, Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew will test his hamstring before the game to see if he can play.