Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley finished Sunday's game in San Francisco without incident. That's why it was a surprise when he missed practice Wednesday with a toe injury. Coach Mike McCarthy said Finley would be "hard pressed" to practice until Friday.
A source close to Finley told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that the tight end injured his toe early in last week's game when San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis stepped on the back of his leg. Finley traveled to Minnesota to receive some treatment, and he's expected to rest his injury. The hope is that he'll be able to play Sunday against the Washington Redskins, but it sounds up in the air.
Here are a few other injuries we tracked Wednesday:
The injury is not expected to be serious. Coach Andy Reid told reporters Wednesday that he expects Charles to play this week against the Dallas Cowboys. Charles "might do a little bit" during the team's afternoon practice, but it sounds like he'll be limited.
"We're just taking it slow, but I think he'll be OK for the game," Reid said, via The Associated Press.
3. More bad news for the New York Giants' running game: Backup running back Da'Rel Scott was limited Wednesday with an injured knee. Starting cornerback Prince Amukamara missed practice because of a concussion.
4. Packers guard Josh Sitton (back) also missed practice Wednesday. McCarthy said Sitton's back tightened up on the flight home from San Francisco. Packers safety Morgan Burnett (hamstring) was back on the field. Cornerback Casey Hayward (hamstring) is out for a second consecutive week.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers guard Carl Nicks told Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times that he's free and clear of MRSA after missing time with the staph infection. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport says not to be shocked if Nicks plays this week.
6. The Baltimore Ravens have another injured wide receiver. The team placed rookie Aaron Mellette (knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.
9. Atlanta Falcons wide receivers Julio Jones (knee) and Roddy White (ankle) missed practice. White is dealing with a high ankle sprain. The team is probably just giving Jones a day of rest, but we'll look for more information on it.