In May, Jones skipped the opening day of organized team activities in an effort to prompt the Dolphins into contract negotiations. The team didn't budge and two months later there's no indication of talks, despite loose promises from general manager Jeff Ireland to "eventually" work out a new deal.
Jones enters his fourth season hoping to make his case on the field.
"I can only get better," Jones told the team's official website Wednesday. "I got the ball rolling in the right direction and I just told myself I want to be recognized as one of the premiere safeties in this league. I think last year I went out and showed that to the world and I just want to keep it going."
Failing to extend Jones is a risky move by the Dolphins. After spending more than $200 million this offseason, questions still linger in the secondary, especially at cornerback. Jones led the Dolphins in interceptions last season and graded out as the NFL's third-best safety by ProFootballFocus.
In our training camp examination of the AFC East, Gregg Rosenthal suggested the Dolphins still might spend money for veteran help at left tackle, running back or cornerback. Those moves would make sense for a team looking to make a push in the division, but locking down one of the league's better safeties wouldn't hurt.
Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.