Around the NFL  

 

Mario Williams says Buffalo Bills gave him painkillers

The off-field drama surrounding Mario Williams has taken another turn.

After details emerged last week that the Buffalo Bills pass rusher allegedly sent disturbing text messages to his ex-fiancée, Erin Marzouki, in which he revealed he had taken hydrocodone and alluded to "suicidal thoughts," Williams said Monday he acquired those painkillers from the team.

Brandt: Setting the record straight
Gil Brandt picks out five rookies with their fair share of doubters -- and a good shot at proving their critics wrong. More ...

The controversy stems from a Houston lawsuit filed by Williams to win back the $785,000 engagement ring he gave Marzouki. Her lawyers last week countered with a three-page chronicle of what they said were emotionally distraught texts from the two-time Pro Bowl selection.

"I took 3 hydrocodones this morning and no one knows," Williams allegedly wrote Marzouki. "I'm going to take 2 more on the plane and fade away ... No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts."

Tim Graham of The Buffalo News reported Monday that Williams said the pills were prescribed and handed out by the Bills. Williams also denied having suicidal thoughts.

Bills coach Doug Marrone, unaware of Williams' comments, told reporters Monday that he had spoken with the player, but he said, "The organization will not comment on personal issues." He added, "My conversations with him are private," according to the team's official website.

Breer: The 'surprise' that wasn't
Geno Smith's fall wasn't that shocking, Albert Breer says, considering questions that popped up about his play on the field. More ...

Marrone -- who wasn't with the Bills last season -- confirmed that team officials are looking into Williams' situation. Williams underwent wrist surgery in October after spending much of the early season in pain. In that light, it wouldn't stand out as unusual for the team to prescribe him painkillers.

Williams -- who signed a six-year, $96 million contract with $50 million in guarantees in March 2012 -- said this month he plans to be "all over the place" on the field in 2013, but before that happens, the Bills will want to make sure he's in one piece.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

Fan Discussion

NFL News
CONTENT
15