News  

 

Boston Marathon bombing suspect in custody, police say

  • By NFL.com Wire Reports
More Columns >
Matt Rourke/Associated Press
Boston Police announced Friday that a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing had been taken into custody.

BOSTON -- A 19-year-old college student wanted in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Friday evening after a manhunt that left the city virtually paralyzed and his older brother and accomplice dead.

Police announced via Twitter that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was in custody. They later wrote, "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."

Tsarnaev's brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan, was killed Friday in a furious attempt to escape police.

President Obama, addressing the nation from the White House late Friday, praised the city of Boston and said "we've closed an important chapter in this tragedy."

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been holed up in a boat in a Watertown neighborhood. The crowd gathered near the scene let out a cheer when spectators saw officers clapping.

"Everyone wants him alive," said Kathleen Paolillo, a 27-year-old teacher who lives in Watertown.

Boston Mayor Tom Menino tweeted "We got him," along with a photo of the police commissioner speaking to him.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Headlines

The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop

NFL News
CONTENT
15