Around the NFL  

 

Players identified as occupants of trashed hotel room

We now have names attached to the Crowne Plaza hotel room in Indianapolis that was left in ugly condition following the 2013 NFL Scouting Combine.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Thursday that the hotel room belonged to Clemson wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, the No. 42 ranked prospect in the 2013 NFL Draft according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah, and Rutgers wide receiver Mark Harrison, according to two sources.

Shortly after the names surfaced, Hopkins' agent, Hadley Engelhard, denied his client had anything to do with mess left behind in the room.

"DeAndre had as much to do with it as you did," Engelhard told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. "We have no idea. We don't know. We haven't been asked about it officially."

Engelhard added that Hopkins checked out six hours before anyone else.

Hopkins later tweeted, "Left hours b4 this incident leaving it at that."

Sources told Breer that Harrison's camp also is denying involvement. Breer reported that Hopkins' story is that he checked out of the hotel room before it was trashed, while Harrison's is that he went to lunch and then came back to the trashed room.

Harrison's head coach at Rutgers, Kyle Flood, told ESPN that he never had discipline issues with Harrison during road trips in college.

"I've been on a lot of road trips and we've never had a single disciplinary issue with him. He's a model of the type of person we want here at Rutgers," Flood said. "It would be so out of character to be involved in this that I just cannot imagine under any circumstance that it would happen and involve him."

The National Football Post first reported Sunday that a room occupied by two combine participants had been left in disgusting condition. The mess included urine and feces left throughout the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage left throughout the room. Partially eaten food was found on one bed.

"I can confirm that a room was left in an inappropriate condition and we're disappointed by both players who occupied the room," combine organizer Jeff Foster told Yahoo! Sports earlier this week. "There was no material damage to the room; otherwise we would be pursuing further action and really be trying to get to the bottom of the situation.

"It's just very disappointing, and the people we feel the worst for are the people at the Crowne Plaza who had to clean it up."

According to Yahoo!, Foster said at least 10 teams called him after initial report to inquire about details of the incident. It goes without saying that this is not the type of shenanigans you want to be tied to so close to the biggest day of your life.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Fan Discussion

NFL News
CONTENT
15