Ravens defeat 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII

  • By Wire Reports
More Columns >

Even a momentum-killing power outage couldn't stop the Baltimore Ravens from claiming the franchise's second Super Bowl championship on Sunday.

Behind a three-touchdown effort by quarterback Joe Flacco, the Ravens held off a spirited rally by the San Francisco 49ers following a 35-minute delay caused by a power outage at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome to win Super Bowl XLVII, 34-31, on Sunday.

The Ravens led, 28-6, when play resumed following the third-quarter power outage, but the 49ers immediately got back into the game, scoring 17 points in less than 4½ minutes.

First, Colin Kaepernick threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to Michael Crabtree, pulling them within 15 points midway through the third quarter. Ravens defensive backs Cary Williams and Bernard Pollard missed tackles on the play. Then, with 5 minutes left in the third quarter, Frank Gore swept around right end for a 6-yard TD run, making it 28-20, before Ravens running back Ray Rice's fumble gave the ball right back to the 49ers.

San Francisco tacked on David Akers' 34-yard field goal to get within 28-23 after he missed from a longer distance but the Ravens were whistled for running into the kicker. It was his third successful kick of the game after hitting from 36 and 27 yards in the first half.

Baltimore already was ahead 21-6 at halftime before Jacoby Jones opened the second half with a Super Bowl record 108-yard kick return, his eyes glancing up at the videoboard, presumably to watch himself sprint to the end zone.

Flacco threw three touchdown passes, and was nearly flawless in the first half.

The 49ers turned over the ball twice in about a 5-minute span of the second quarter: Rookie running back LaMichael James fumbled -- leading to a Ravens TD -- and safety Ed Reed tied an NFL record with his ninth career postseason interception by picking off Colin Kaepernick.

The Ravens were first to get on the scoreboard when Flacco connected on a 13-yard touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin in the first quarter. San Francisco's David Akers made the score 7-3 minutes later on a 36-yard field goal.

The game marked the 10th time New Orleans hosted the big game and first since Hurricane Katrina devastated "The Big Easy" in August 2005.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.



The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop