Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne, who spent his first four seasons with the Miami Dolphins under then head coach Tony Sparano, has sparked a modicum of fire in the offense since taking over for Blaine Gabbert Week 11.
Sparano, now offensive coordinator with the New York Jets, is embroiled in a full-on quarterback controversy between starter Mark Sancehz and backups Tim Tebow and Greg McElroy. Leading up to Sundayâs Jaguars-Jets matchup, Henne told New York reporters that he had been recruited by Sparano in the offseason.
âWell, Tony called me as soon as free agency opened,ââ Henne said, via the New York Post. âObviously Mark signed his contract before that, but they still were interested and wanted to get me in on a visit. But I had two visits already lined up, here at Jacksonville and also in Seattle, so New York kinda wouldâve been my third opportunity. But it just didnât work out. It was more coach Sparano and his offense feeling comfortable with me running that more than anything. Whether it worked out or not, it is what it is.ââ
When Henne, who didnât exactly set the world on fire under Sparano in Miami, chose Jacksonville, the Jets signed Drew Stanton as its veteran backup before trading him once they made the controversial trade for Tebow.
Henne has been both a replaced and a replacement quarterback and understands the pressure that comes with playing the most high-profile position in American sports.
âItâs definitely tough,ââ Henne said. âObviously thatâs this league; itâs definitely a business, and itâs all about wins and losses and how you perform as a quarterback. But no matter what situation youâre in, you just have to prepare like youâre the starter, never take your preparation lightly and always be ready because your number can be called any time and in any week.ââ
Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.











