Kansas City Chiefs  


Jovan Belcher details paint tumultuous eve of murder-suicide


The Kansas City police's investigation into the murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher and his live-in girlfriend Kasandra Perkins has painted a picture of a tumultuous night leading up to Saturday morning's incident.

Belcher tragedy rattles Chiefs, NFL

Latest news:
» Chiefs' Belcher kills girlfriend, then himself
» Chiefs attend Belcher memorial service
» Girlfriend's memorial service held in Texas
» Funds set up for couple's 3-month-old daughter
» Belcher's mother upset her 911 call released
» Details of the night before murder-suicide
» Belcher reportedly apologized to his mother
» GM, coaches to receive mandatory counseling
» Police: Belcher shot himself behind a vehicle
» Chiefs beat Panthers amid unthinkable tragedy
» Darlington: Chiefs find strength to move on
» Belcher's agent: 'Something went crazy wrong'

» Crennel: 'You have to move on' after tragedy
» Chiefs respond to tragedy with emotional win
» Crennel addresses Chiefs in locker room
» Chiefs' Hunt on team's decision to play
» Breer: NFL to provide benefits for couple's child

The Kansas City Star reported on Monday that Belcher leaned over Perkins' body after shooting her, kissed her on the forehead and apologized. The Star's report said that the shooting was the result of a heated argument over the couple's relationship and financial issues, after both had been out the night before -- Perkins at a Trey Songz concert and Belcher in the city's Power and Light District.

But it wasn't Belcher's first incident with the police Saturday. Police responded to a call about a suspicious car and occupant at 2:50 a.m. on Saturday, according to a Kansas City police source. There, the police found Belcher asleep in his car.

The officers knocked on the car's window, which was parked outside a gated apartment complex. Belcher woke up, according to the source, and while it was apparent he'd been drinking, he wasn't staggering or slurring his words. He told the officer his girlfriend lived there, and he was locked out of the complex. The officer asked Belcher to call her, which he did. A woman came down to get Belcher soon after, according to the source.

The woman waved, opened the door and Belcher went inside with her. The police then left the scene.

The Star reported that Belcher is believed to have arrived home around 7 a.m., at which point the argument with Perkins ensued.

Belcher used two different guns Saturday, a Kansas City police source said. The police found one gun at the scene of the Perkins murder, and they found a separate gun at the scene of Belcher's suicide, which he used to shoot himself, according to the source.

The two guns were purchased at an outdoor store in the Kansas City area, according to the source. One was bought in 2010, the other in 2011.

Belcher lived in a rented house with his mother, Perkins and their daughter. Police spokesman Darin Snapp referred to Perkins as Belcher's "on-again-off-again" girlfriend.

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer



The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop