NEW ORLEANS -- The latest round of appeal hearings in the NFL's bounty investigation have concluded with appearances by former Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress, Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt and linebacker Jonathan Vilma.
Vilma said his appearance went well but declined further comment citing a request for confidentiality by former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who has been appointed to oversee the proceedings. There were also several days of witness appearances in Washington, D.C., last week.
The hearings were scheduled to conclude in New Orleans by Tuesday, but ended Monday evening after about 10 hours of testimony from the three witnesses.
"I think it did go well," Vilma, wearing a gray suit, said as he left a downtown high-rise where Monday's hearing was held. Vilma added that Tagliabue "seems a little bit more receptive" to his version of events than Commissioner Roger Goodell did. The linebacker declined further comment, citing Tagliabue's directive that the parties involved keep details of the hearings confidential.
A person familiar with the situation says Tagliabue expects to rule by early next week, meaning Vilma and Smith expect to play Sunday against the New York Giants. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of Tagliabue's directive.
Smith, suspended four games, and Vilma, suspended for the entire current season, are playing while their appeals are pending.
Like Vilma, Childress and Vitt honored the Tagliabue's request for confidentiality after their appearances.
As Childress left the downtown law office on Monday he said he had "nothing to add."
Vitt also didn't have much to say, though he spent about five hours at the hearing.
The Saints coach had said previously, including under oath in federal court last summer, that his players never took the field intending to injure an opponent. As he left, Vitt said that testimony "was reiterated."
Vitt said he could not discuss details of the hearing, but added that it was good to see the former commissioner, who he'd met before. Vitt said that they had friendly exchanges, even sharing some old stories.
Vitt then headed back to the Saints' suburban headquarters to catch up on how practice went.
Two former New Orleans players also were banned: Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita had his suspension reduced to one game, while free-agent defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove has not played in the NFL this season but faces a two-game suspension if he signs with a team.
The NFL has described Vilma and Smith as ringleaders -- and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams as being in charge -- of a performance pool designed to knock targeted opponents out of games from 2009 to 2011.
The league has sworn statements from Williams and former Saints assistant coach Mike Cerullo -- who testified last week -- saying Vilma offered $10,000 to anyone who knocked quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2010 NFC championship game.
The NFL also has identified Kennedy as one of its witnesses, but Kennedy has said the league is lying about his statements. He added that the league irreparably damaged his reputation by its "shoddy, careless, shameful so-called investigation."
According to the NFL, Kennedy heard about the bounty from Hargrove, who has also denied knowledge of a bounty program.
Tagliabue has insisted that the contents of the appeals process remain private, and all of the hearings have been behind closed doors in private law offices.
Vilma offered a wave and a thumbs-up sign as walked into the downtown New Orleans' law office for Monday's proceedings. Vitt only joked to several reporters that he sees them "in his dreams" and that they should be at Saints' practice instead of the law office.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press