Around the League is taking a look at each team's salary-cap situation heading into training camp. We continue with the San Francisco 49ers.
Adjusted Cap Number: $138.083 million
Cap Room Remaining: $3.395 million
Crunching the Numbers
Around the League is taking a look at each team's salary cap situation as we approach the start of training camp:
• Bills | Dolphins | Jets | Patriots
• Bengals | Browns | Ravens | Steelers
• Colts | Jaguars | Texans | Titans
• Broncos | Chargers | Chiefs | Raiders
• Cowboys | Eagles | Giants | Redskins
• Bears | Lions | Packers | Vikings
• Buccaneers | Falcons | Panthers | Saints
• 49ers | Cardinals | Rams | NaVorro Bowman earned first-team All-Pro honors after leading the San Francisco 49ers with 136 tackles, adding a pair of sacks, 13 tackles for a loss and eight passes defensed. Bowman is on par with teammate Patrick Willis from an athletic standpoint, but he's a year or two away from gaining a big contract. As a 2010 third-round draft pick, Bowman will remain a bargain over the next two seasons. The former Penn State standout will earn the league minimum of $540,000 this season and, with another season of heavy playing time, his 2013 base salary will increase to the low restricted free-agent tender.
Potential Camp Casualty: Veteran skill-position players Randy Moss and Brandon Jacobs will likely make the 53-man roster, but could be released with little or no ramifications to the salary cap. Moss' one-year deal contains no guaranteed money and Jacobs' guarantee is just the $150,000 signing bonus he received in April. Jonathan Goodwin, the 49ers' 33-year-old center, is likely safe as well, but the team could save more than $3 million in cap space if a younger, cheaper option emerges in camp and the preseason.
Contract Issue Looming In 2013: For the second consecutive offseason, the 49ers and safety Dashon Goldson failed to reach an agreement on a multi-year contract. Goldson played for $2 million in his Pro Bowl season in 2011 and will receive a significant increase on the $6.212 million franchise tag. To franchise Goldson again in 2013 would cost the 49ers $7.454 million. Nose tackle will also be a position the 49ers must address in 2013. Starters Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean Francois will both be unrestricted free agents.
Fantasy draft season is upon us. Does Jamaal Charles top the list of our experts' best 25 fantasy players for 2014? View
© 2014 NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the
National Football League.The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of
the teams indicated. All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football