Crunching the Numbers
Around the League is taking a look at each team's salary cap situation as we approach the start of training camp:
• Bills | Dolphins | Jets | Patriots
• Bengals | Browns | Ravens | Steelers
• Colts | Jaguars | Texans | Titans
• Broncos | Chargers | Chiefs | Raiders
• Cowboys | Eagles | Giants | Redskins
• Bears | Lions | Packers | Vikings
• Buccaneers | Falcons | Panthers | Saints
• 49ers | Cardinals | Rams | Mike Wallace plays the 2012 season under the "first-round" restricted free agent tender, he could be looking at $2.742 million in non-guaranteed base salary. Wallace ranked in the top 25 in terms of receptions last season and was tied for 11th in both receiving yards (1,193) and touchdowns (eight). With Todd Haley replacing Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator, there is no reason to think that the Steelers are going to throw the ball less. Yet Wallace's RFA tender currently ranks 46th among NFL wideouts in terms of cash compensation in 2012.
Potential camp casualty: The great roster purge of 2012 has already happened in Pittsburgh. The Steelers parted ways with Bryant McFadden, Arnaz Battle, James Farrior, Chris Kemoeatu, Aaron Smith and Hines Ward. If the young nose tackles or inside linebackers show progress in camp, veterans in the final years of their contracts, such as Casey Hampton ($2.8 million base salary) and Larry Foote ($3 million in base salary), could be released to free up some cap space for this season or next.
Contract issue looming in 2013: It's all about Wallace, the only restricted free agent this offseason who has not yet signed his one-year tender. He could be headed for the franchise tag (projected value of $9.692 million if the cap remains flat, as is expected) in 2013. Fellow receiver Antonio Brown, who caught 69 passes for 1,108 yards and went to the Pro Bowl as a return specialist, will be a restricted free agent next offseason, as well.
Tom Brady, Jimmy Garappolo and the rest of the defending champion Patriots took to the field for training camp Thursday morning. View
© 2015 NFL Enterprises LLC. NFL and the NFL shield design are registered trademarks of the
National Football League.The team names, logos and uniform designs are registered trademarks of
the teams indicated. All other NFL-related trademarks are trademarks of the National Football