The fire of speculation on the future of the San Diego Chargers was stoked again last week when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to all 32 NFL teams detailing the conditions of moving a team to Los Angeles.
With their stadium issues and close geographical ties, the Chargers have been viewed by many as a logical option for the move. According to Goodell's memo, any team interested in moving must file a relocation application between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, 2013, meaning we'll soon find out how serious the Chargers are about leaving town.
Chargers special counsel Mark Fabiani was asked Monday during an interview with XEPRS-AM radio in San Diego if the team plans to submit an application.
"No. We are not planning on it, and obviously I'm not a fortune teller, I can't see into the future, but I would be very surprised if we were filing out an application a couple months from now," Fabiani said. "We're trying to get something done here in San Diego, and I'd be surprised if the result was anything other than that."
Ah, the classic denial/non-denial. Fabiani was asked if that stance could change in the next six months.
"I guess it could change, if the new mayor came into office and (says) 'I have absolutely no interest in working with you, San Diego, therefore, you can leave if you want to.' You know, we would have to look at something like that. I don't anticipate that will happen.
"But as we sit here today, I think it's not likely that we'll be filing any paperwork in January. I think I would be very surprised if that happened."
A good sign for Chargers fans in San Diego, but don't consider L.A. out of the picture yet. Not by a long shot.