"It's kind of like taking things to another level, kind of like when I came down here from the (Canadian Football League)," Wake told The Associated Press. "It has been an amazing, amazing journey."
"So far, so good," Wake said about the direction of the team under new head coach Joe Philbin. "Just trying to make it a first-class organization from top to bottom, and making sure we have everything we need to be successful. We are taking big strides to make sure that 2012 will be a good season for everybody."
Wake, who had been off Twitter for the past month, sent his followers a message Sunday morning, hinting at something of interest before the deal was announced.
...........................................Guess what............................................â Cameron Wake (@Kold91) May 6, 2012
"We are pleased that we were able to reach an agreement with Cam and his agent, Paul Sheehy to extend Cam's contract," Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said in statement released by the team. "Cam has been a productive player ever since he joined the Dolphins, and has been a great teammate and an outstanding citizen. His work ethic and professionalism on the field and in the locker room has made him a leader by example. We also appreciate all the community activities he has done.
"We always try to reward our own players for their contributions to the team and Cam certainly deserves that recognition. I want to thank Cam and Paul for their hard work in getting this extension done."
Wake had been disgruntled with his contract situation and didn't attend the start of the Dolphins' voluntary offseason workout program. He was scheduled to earn $615,000 in the final year of a four-year deal that he signed with the Dolphins after leaving the Canadian Football League.
The 30-year-old linebacker out of Penn State has recorded 28 sacks during his three-year NFL career. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2010.
Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @JasonLaCanfora.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.