Miami Dolphins  

 

Dolphins reportedly looking to extend contracts of key starters

  • By NFL.com
More Columns >

Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland has begun talks on contract extensions with three key starters who are in the last year of their current deals -- offensive tackle Jake Long, linebacker Cameron Wake and wide receiver Brian Hartline, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported on Thursday.

Owner Stephen Ross said this week that re-signing Miami's core players was "very important."

Reuter: AFC East draft needs
What are the biggest holes left on each AFC East roster? Chad Reuter assesses draft needs for all four teams. More ...

"Certainly, those players that we know that are coming up we all know we want to retain them. We have to make sure we're in a position to do that," Ross said.

Long, the first overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, is seeking a deal that would make him the league's highest-paid offensive lineman. Cleveland's Joe Thomas currently holds that distinction -- the seven-year extension he signed last August could be worth up to $84 million.

Wake has 28 sacks in three NFL seasons, all with the Dolphins.

Hartline, a fourth-round pick in 2009, has 109 catches for 1,670 yards in his three seasons.

Starting running back Reggie Bush, defensive end Randy Starks, cornerback Sean Smith, tight end Anthony Fasano and punter Brandon Fields also are entering the final year of their respective contracts.

Headlines

The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop

NFL News
CONTENT
15