Hours after his new understudy spoke at a news conference so large that it had to be shifted to an indoor practice field, Mark Sanchez insisted he wasn't threatened by Tim Tebow's arrival in New York.
"Not at all," the Jets' starting quarterback said in a conference call with reporters Monday. "We're adding another player, and we're not replacing anybody."
Though Mark Brunell might beg to differ, we understand where Sanchez is coming from on this. On a day that most assume triggers a countdown that will culminate with him losing his starting job, Sanchez wants everybody to know he's completely fine.
The Jets need more good players to improve on last year's 8-8 season. Tebow -- who said Monday he and Sanchez "are going to have a lot of fun together" -- represents an upgrade at the position. According to Sanchez, it's just that simple ... even though it really isn't.
"If Tim's going to help us win, I'm excited about that," he said. "... (Coach) Rex (Ryan) and (general manager) Mike (Tannenbaum) have made it absolutely clear that the signing is to add a new wrinkle to our offense and not to replace anybody."
Sanchez acknowledged it's "well-documented" he doesn't like coming off the field or lining up as a wide receiver, two things bound to happen after Ryan said Sunday that Tebow could be on the field for up to 20 plays per game next season.
"But the way I feel about the Wildcat really is secondary," Sanchez said. "Our team goal is what's most important."
Give Sanchez this: For a guy who has struggled to win over his own locker room, it's hard not to be impressed with how he has handled the zoo that has been this Jets offseason. He said all the right things Monday, pushing the kerosene away from an already raging media inferno.