Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward underwent surgery to remove bone fragments from his right ankle recently but he remained committed to returning to the Steelers for his 15th season, saying again that he is willing to take a pay cut to do so, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Friday.
Ward, who did not say when he had the surgery but did say he will resume working out on Monday, told the newspaper he has met with team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin without receiving any guarantees of his return.
"They really didn't say [definitively]," Ward told the Post-Gazette. "It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. We were just talking."
Ward, who will turn 36 in March, is set to make $4 million next season.
"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," Ward told the newspaper. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but, under the circumstances, I think I can still play football."
A decision should come soon. The Post-Gazette reported last month that a clause in Ward's contract stipulates that he must be released or guaranteed his job with the Steelers by March 1.
Ward had only 46 receptions this season, his lowest total since his rookie season. He finished with 381 receiving yards and two touchdowns.