Indianapolis Colts  

 

Report: Manning will miss part of Colts camp to rehab neck

  • By NFL.com
More Columns >

Peyton Manning will watch at least the start of Colts training camp from the sideline, The Indianapolis Star reported Wednesday, citing a source familiar with the quarterback's health situation.

Manning, whose peers voted him the No. 2 player in NFL Network's "Top 100 Players of 2011," had surgery on a disk in his neck in late May, and Colts owner Jim Irsay said afterward that recovery was expected to take six to eight weeks. Last week would have been eight weeks.

How much time Manning, a five-time All-Pro, will miss is unknown, according to The Star. But once the lockout ends and Manning is able to meet with the Colts' training staff, a more specific recovery timetable should be available.

Manning's agent, Tom Condon, told NFL Network on Wednesday that his client's recovery is on schedule.

"It's not a great deal," Condon said. "He had surgery in late May. It hasn't been that much time from the surgery.

"He's addressed it as vigorously as he can. He's working out and rehabbing hard. He has not had the advantage of going into the Indianapolis Colts' facility or using their trainers. He's been seen regularly by specialists who all say he's doing well."

The Star reported that Manning, who also had minor surgery to remove calcium buildup in his neck in March 2009, endured recurring problems with his neck last season. He pursued several non-surgical options before deciding to go under the knife again.

Condon also sounded optimistic about working out a new contract for Manning with the Colts, who placed a franchise tag on the quarterback after last season because he was due to become an unrestricted free agent.

"I wouldn't say it's a formality," Condon said. "(Colts vice chairman) Bill Polian and I have done tons of contracts together, notably when Peyton was a rookie and then the next one he just finished, seven years ago. We've always managed to get them done."

Manning is one of the plaintiffs in the Brady et al v. National Football League et al lawsuit that is central to the lockout, and sources told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday that he and New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees could demand a franchise tag exemption.

Later Tuesday, Condon, who also represents Brees, told The Star neither of his clients are seeking special treatment.

"Asserting anything else is nonsense," Condon said. "Drew and Peyton have been two of the staunchest supporters of the players throughout this process. What they are doing is endorsing the players' (bargaining position), not pursing anything individually."

Headlines

The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop

NFL News
CONTENT
15