Chicago Bears  

 

Backup Hanie says Cutler, Bears have yet to stage workouts

  • By NFL.com
More Columns >

While many teams around the league have organized workouts during the NFL lockout, Bears backup quarterback Caleb Hanie told "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 that his Chicago teammates have no plans to gather.

"We've exchanged e-mails with numerous guys, just back and forth, talking about it," Hanie said Thursday. "But we really just want to make sure that if we do have something -- or when we do have something -- that it's very beneficial and not just a waste of time.

"You don't want to get everybody together and just goof around. Everything is just in flux. We're just trying to wait it out and see what happens (with the labor negotiations), but it's not looking to good for the next month or so, so we'll see here in the near future."

Hanie told the station that he's heard nothing from starter Jay Cutler about plans to get together as a team.

"I've talked to him a few times this offseason, and I haven't heard anything from him on that front, so far," Hanie said. "I don't know if he has something planned or whatever, but not yet."

Cutler told the Chicago Sun-Times last month that the left knee he sprained during January's NFC Championship Game against the Green Bay Packers has healed, but he acknowledges the criticism he absorbed for leaving with the injury affected him.

"I was gone, and I stayed away from it all," Cutler said. "But I can't say it didn't bother me that people questioned my toughness and desire to play.

"I think I've been through a lot here in Chicago, and I would have loved to play."

Cutler also said in that interview that Bears players were keeping in touch, but "not in a huge rush" to gather for workouts. Cutler said if the NFL lockout went into May, "we’re definitely going to have to make something happen."

Headlines

The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop

NFL News
CONTENT
15