Miami Dolphins  


Dolphins' Marshall leaves hospital after stabbing; wife arrested


Dolphins wide receiver Brandon Marshall was released from a South Florida hospital Saturday, one day after police say his wife stabbed him in the stomach with a kitchen knife.

A high-ranking Dolphins source said Marshall's injuries are "not life-threatening." Another high-end team source said the receiver is "going to be OK" and that it "could have been worse."

Wyche: Communication breakdown
The inability to communicate with players during the lockout is a major cause of concern for personnel directors across the league, Steve Wyche writes. More...

Michi Nagomi-Marshall, who married Brandon Marshall last year, was arrested Friday night on one count of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon because of the incident. The 26-year-old was released Saturday afternoon on $7,500 bond.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Marshall had defensive wounds on both of his hands, in addition to a puncture in his abdomen that required minor surgery. Marshall's agent, Kennard McGuire, said the receiver is expected to make a full recovery in 2 to 3 weeks.

"This is a very difficult time for Brandon and family," McGuire and Marshall's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said in a joint statement. "Thankfully, he will make a full recovery. We simply ask that his privacy is respected."

McGuire and Steinberg were traveling to South Florida on Saturday morning to be with Marshall.

According to the Broward County Sheriff's Office arrest report, Marshall, 27, provided sworn testimony that he slipped and fell on a broken glass vase at the couple's home in Southwest Ranches, near the Dolphins' complex in Davie. But the area where the vase was broken didn't show any blood to substantiate that claim.

The report stated that after police read Nagomi-Marshall her Miranda rights, she confessed to stabbing Marshall with a kitchen knife and said she did so in self-defense. Police said both Marshall and his wife provided "scant details" on the chronology of events.

Michi Nagomi-Marshall, the wife of Dolphins WR Brandon Marshall, was arrested Friday night after allegedly stabbing her husband in the stomach.
Michi Nagomi-Marshall, the wife of Dolphins WR Brandon Marshall, was arrested Friday night after allegedly stabbing her husband in the stomach.

The sheriff's office said the case remains under investigation.

"We are aware of the report, and our thoughts are with Brandon at this time," Dolphins spokeman Harvey Greene said in a statement. "We will look into the matter, but because we are not allowed to have any contact with any of our players, we will refrain from making any further comment."

The ongoing NFL lockout prohibits contact between team officials and players, but in Marshall's case, an NFL spokesman said: "The team doctor can see him. The trainer and team doctor can consult with his other doctors. The team can send well wishes or other types of appropriate expressions of support."

The Dolphins traded second-round picks in the 2010 and 2011 drafts to the Denver Broncos last April for Marshall, then signed the two-time Pro Bowl receiver to a four-year, $47.5 million extension. He led Miami in receptions (86) and receiving yards (1,014) last season.

Marshall made the Pro Bowl in 2008 and 2009 with the Broncos, who selected him out of Central Florida in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

This isn't the first incident allegedly involving Marshall and his wife, who met when they were students at UCF. Marshall was arrested in Atlanta in March 2009 after police said he was involved in a fight with then-Michi Leshase Nagomi-Campbell.

Police were summoned to Marshall's residence when he and his then-fiancee got into a heated argument. With police looking on, the fight escalated, and the pair began kicking and punching each other on the sidewalk outside his home, according to a police report. Neither one needed medical attention, and both of them were arrested, charged with disorderly conduct and taken to the Atlanta City Jail.

Charges were dropped the next day after Marshall and his then-fiancee refused to testify against each other.

Marshall allegedly has been involved in other domestic disputes.

He was arrested in March 2007 after his former girlfriend, Rasheeda Watley, said he used his vehicle to block her taxi as she tried to leave after an argument at his home in Highlands Ranch, Colo. The case was later dismissed.

Marshall also faced two counts of simple battery stemming from a March 4, 2008, argument with Watley at the Atlanta condominium the couple shared. Watley later acknowledged under oath that she had lied about how she received stab wounds to protect Marshall from getting in trouble and being suspended from the NFL.

A jury found later found Marshall not guilty of misdemeanor battery against Watley.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora and The Associated Press contributed to this report.



The previous element was an advertisement.

NFL Shop