If you are interested in a player who is currently owned by another team in your league, you may still attempt to acquire that player through a trade. Trades are a great way to help multiple teams better their rosters at the same time. Have too many running backs but need a new starting quarterback? Find another owner in your league who has an extra quarterback to spare and might be looking to upgrade at running back.
To propose a trade, go to your team page and click "Trade" at the top of the page. You will arrive at the Player List page where you can find the player you want to trade for in a number of different ways. You can search for the player by first or last name, by position or by the other fantasy teams in your league.
Once you have found the player you hope to trade for, click the multi-directional arrows next to the player’s name. You will be taken to the roster page of the fantasy owner who has the rights to the player you want to trade for. Once on that page, select just that player, or add additional players from that owner’s roster that you would like on your team. At the top of the Propose Trade page, you will see a section labeled "Who do you want to trade for?" This section will list all the selected players that you'd like to bring to your team.
Once you have made your selections, click the "Continue" button to navigate to a page that lists the players on your roster who you would like to trade away. Select the one or more players on your roster who you would like to trade away and click "Continue."
You will arrive at the Review Trade Proposal page where you can compare all facets of the potential trade based on schedule, statistics, projections, and current rankings. If you do not like the trade once you get to this page, click "Cancel" to be redirected back to your team page. There is also the option of adding a comment to the trade proposal which will be sent to the other team’s owner. Once you have reviewed the trade, made your comments and are satisfied with the offer, click "Submit." You will be taken back to your team page where you will notice a section above your roster listed as "Team Notes." In that area you can see the trade proposal listed along with a link that will allow you to view the specifics of the offer. The team owner you proposed the trade to will receive notification via email and/or the My Team page, at which point they may choose to accept or deny the trade proposal.
If at some point after you offer the trade you decide to rescind the proposal, from your team page click "View Trade" and click the "Cancel Trade" button.
If you are on the receiving end of a trade proposal, you will be notified of the offer on your team page and/or via email. You will be able to click "View Trade" and review whether or not the terms of the trade are acceptable to you. If they are, click "Accept" and you will have acquired the player(s) specified in the trade (based on your league settings).
The rules for trading in NFL.com Custom Leagues are as follows:
- If he or she chooses, the League Manager can specify maximum number of trades per team per season. This can range anywhere from 1 to 50 trades for the season, or the number of trades can be set to “No Maximum," as is the default for NFL.com leagues.
- The League Manager has several options for setting the trade review timetable. The League Manager can set it so that only he or she has the ability to review and accept or reject trades (League Manager Veto). Or, the league can be set to allow the owners some time (anywhere from 1 to 4 days) to review the proposed trades and potentially veto the trade. Lastly, the league can be set so that there are "No Protests" allowed when a trade is agreed upon by both parties involved, in which case all accepted trades will be immediately processed.
- If there is a review period for trades in your league and an accepted trade is not considered legitimate or fair, the other owners can take steps to prevent the trade from being completed. When a pending trade appears on all owners’ Team Pages, owners can click “View Trade” and vote FOR or AGAINST the proposed trade. Trades are only rejected if more than half of team owners within the league disagree with the swap within the allotted time period.
For Custom Leagues, the League Manager can set up the league so that it does not have a trade deadline (allowing trades to be completed throughout the entirety of the season), or the League Manager may choose to specify a trade deadline from the following three dates. The trade deadline is initially set by the League Manager during league creation, but can be edited throughout the season by navigating to the Manage tab within your fantasy league:
- Friday, November 4, 2011
- Friday, November 11, 2011
- Friday, November 18, 2011
- Friday, November 25, 2011
The trading block is a feature that enables owners to let other teams in their league know as to what they are looking for in trades. Team owners can view the league trading block by visiting Trading Block within the navigation on the My Team page. To edit your team's visible trading block information, click the "Edit My Trading Block" link from the Trading Block page. You can make updates to this as often as you prefer.
On this page, a team owner has five areas to customize to create your team's trading block.
- On The Block - Specify which players you are willing to deal in a trade. You can list as many players as you prefer.
- Untouchable - Let others owners know which players you are not willing to trade. For example, if you own Andre Johnson, he might be someone that you want to label as “Untouchable”. Note that a player cannot be both "On the Block" and "Untouchable".
- Interested - Designate which positions you are looking to deal for. If you are need of a Tight End, this would be where you let other owners know.
- Available - Determine which positions you are willing to move.
- Notes - Include any special instructions or notes you want your league to know about your trade requests.
The trading block is a quick and easy way to make a trade with a fellow owner by seeing if your needs align with what they have to offer. Click the "Propose Trade" link from the Trading Block for the team you want to make a deal with.
Depth charts provide a snapshot of the complete rosters of each team in your league on a single page. This tool gives you a look into where a team’s strength and weaknesses lie, helping to spark trade offers and plan your team's long-term strategy. Use the "Propose Trade" or "Send Email" links to get the conversation started.
Note that players bolded represent the current starters within each team's roster. Access the Depth Charts tool within the navigation from League Home.
For custom keeper leagues that allow the trading of draft picks, you can easily reflect these trades on future drafts. Simply keep track of your draft pick trades and reflect these by using the Custom Draft Board. Note that any trades should always have the same number of draft picks swapped between teams, because each team must exit the draft with the same number of players. For more information, visit Customizing Your League: Custom Draft Board.
When trading a draft pick, you are able to trade your picks for this coming season while the league is pre-draft. Once the draft is complete, you are able to trade picks for the upcoming season. Even after the season has concluded, you are able to trade draft picks for the next season.